Friday, July 2, 2010

What was your Gateway?

Hi again, to whoever may be reading this blog at this point. OMUtB is only a couple of days old, but I've gotten some nibbles from the blog community, so I am feeling encouraged! I have hope that I will be able to get someone to read this thing!

So, I made a promise to myself that I would try to post at least once every day (we'll see how that holds up), and since I don't think the second part of my self-indulgent testimonial will be ready today, I wanted to ask a question or two, to perhaps generate some conversation amongst those few who may be reading.

So, here goes:

In the first part of my testimonial that I've posted, I talk about how the reading of a specific book introduced me to fantasy fiction, and was also instrumental in my plunging into D&D. So I ask you:

What book, or books if you can't pinpoint one, was your gateway to fantasy literature? And I guess, by extension, let us know if this book/books also had something to do with your entry into the gaming world.

Now, I guess I don't necessarily have to limit this to just fantasy books/gaming. If you perhaps are a fan of, say, horror novels, what got you into that genre, and did it eventually lead to your getting into some kind of related gaming?

Sorry if I seem scattered...it's getting close to three-day-weekend time for me. And I haven't had my afternoon victuals yet, so the blood sugar is plummeting.

Anyway, I would love to hear from you! I probably won't post again until tomorrow (I hope), so until then, happy Friday and enjoy the holiday!

3 comments:

  1. congratulations! the blog looks great. excellent work. looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a nice looking layout.

    I've posted on my blog about what I was reading as a 10-11 year old when I first got into the hobby:
    http://lordgwydion.blogspot.com/2010/01/appendix-n-of-my-11-year-old-self.html

    And I'd have to say that the Prydain Chronicles were the big number 1, with the retelling of Beowulf and D'Aulaire's Greek Mythology a close second and third.

    Good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwydion, thanks for the comment and the compliment! Ah yes, Prydain was also a favorite of mine, much more enjoyable IMHO than the Narnia Chronicles. And given the fact that you call yourself Prince Gwydion, it stands to reason you're a Prydain fan! There used to be a good resource at http://www.prydainguide.com/
    but that site seems to be dead for the time being. Anyway, I'll be sure to check out that post of yours.

    ReplyDelete